Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pushing through everyday

This isn't fiction, more of a note on writing everyday.  

I have a bit of an active imagination that plagues me all the time.  It is a blessing and a curse.  I can come up with a sweet story very easily, but sometimes this pops up when I'm in the middle of a story.  It sucks because I want to jump onto that train to see where that might lead and leave the one I'm currently on.  I currently have about three trains running and this is very frustrating. 

When I started writing, I promised myself that I would finish whatever I'm working on before starting something else.  I have read multiple writing blogs and author's thoughts on writing, and usually one of their main rules is to finish what you start.  I liked this idea and am trying to adopt it.  But, it's hard when the new story idea sounds sweet and you are stuck in the middle of a story that you are not sure what the end will be like. 

I can't give any advice on how to do this.  I'm just like you, a guy trying to capture thoughts squirming in my head and smash them down on paper.  I set a goal of a page a day.  Even if that page sucks, at least it's out on the page where I can later get embarrassed about what I wrote and change it. 

The story I'm working on now is fun, basically my take on a slasher movie.  I'm deep in the story and discovering new things each day.  I like trying to deconstruct a horror movie and filtering it through my head, making it my way.  But, being in the middle of it is hard because I want to get it out to people and get on to my next idea, I think it's going to be about a children's tv show host trapped in the world they created.  It sounds like a great story and I'm ready to see what horrible place I can put them into and torment them with. 

Anyway, if you are writing and are stuck, just remember I'm there with you.  Haunted by words that tease you and then scuttle away before you can get them, hiding in the corners waiting to poke at you when you aren't ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment