Monday, January 16, 2017

A new plan for the new year

Late last year I came up with a plan for this blog and an exercise in writing.  About a week ago I started to implement that plan, which I am ready to post here on the blog.  Then I realized that I should probably talk about that plan before unleashing it and no one understanding what is happening.

So here we go...

A couple of years ago I saw on Boing Boing a post to this blog featuring covers from old Witches Tales Comic Covers.  Basically, Monster Brains found a bunch of these comic book covers from the pre-comics code era on the Comic Books Archive.  If you check them out, you'll see that they are basically a Tales From the Crypt style comic from around the 60's.  They all look pretty ridiculous and goofy.  

But, I wondered, what would be like if someone tried to take those covers and make stories out of them now?  We could probably make something even more bizarre.  Maybe a little more twisted and darker than they might be.

I let that idea simmer for a couple of years until the end of last year.  I wanted to do something to fill up this blog.  As well as to give myself a writing challenge.  And these covers in their bright techni-color popped into my head.  Why not write those stories?  And why not try to do one once a week?

---

That is my challenge and what I am going to be doing.  Once a week I will be posting a 3,000 - 5,000 word story from one of those covers.  I have not read any of the comics.  I am just going to do what I think would fit the cover.  Some of my stories might be good, some might be terrible.  But the point is just to come up with a new story once a week.

As you read them and you have suggestions for new covers, please let me know.  Or if you notice something wrong, let me know that as well.  This is for me to learn and maybe entertain you along the way.

Please join me as we explore the Witches Tales!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment